Are you ready to take your grilling experience to the next level? Imagine the savory aroma of perfectly smoked meats wafting through your backyard – all thanks to your very own Double Barrel Smoker (DBS). In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of crafting this culinary masterpiece using simple DIY tools.
Modern smokers are expensive, but one type of smoker stands out more than others. Double barrel smokers offer more advantages than single barrel smokers, so if you are wondering how they work and how to use them, read on.
What Is A Double Barrel Smoker?
A double barrel smoker is a type of smoker that has two separate chambers. In addition to cooking food, the smoker can smoke it as well. The inner chamber is where you place your meat and other ingredients, while the outer chamber is where you smoke it. Because of its design, the double barrel smoker will allow you to cook your meat in two ways.
Method 1: Direct Cooking
In this method, you have to place your meat directly on the grates of the smoker. Use a digital thermometer to keep an eye on the inside and outside temperatures of the smoker.
Method 2: Indirect Cooking
In this method, you will use the indirect heat from a fire pit or firebox that sits on top of your smoker. It allows you to cook your meat without having direct contact with it.
Why Should You Use A Double Barrel Smoker?
Tantalize your taste buds with the unbeatable taste of smoked delicacies straight from a double-barrel smoker. Wondering why it’s worth the investment? Let’s dive into the compelling reasons.
1. Dual Cooking Methods
Unleash your culinary creativity with the flexibility of two cooking methods in one smoker. Simultaneously cook with indirect heat on one side and direct heat on the other. Perfect for versatile and complex meals that will leave your guests raving.
2. Capacity for Grandeur
Cooking for a crowd? No problem. The double-barrel smoker’s spacious design allows you to smoke large quantities of meat at once or cook a variety of items on multiple levels with ease.
3. Flavor Magic
Indulge your palate with unique flavors that only a double barrel smoker can offer. Infuse your recipes with rich smoke flavor, enhanced by the addition of wood chips or chunks. From meats and fish to vegetables, fruits, and even nuts – the culinary possibilities are endless.
4. Temperature Mastery
Unlike many other smokers on the market, the double barrel smoker puts you in control. Adjust temperature and airflow settings effortlessly, eliminating the need for constant thermometer monitoring. Enjoy the freedom to focus on the art of cooking.
How to Use a Double Barrel Smoker: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Lid’s Liberation: Remove the smoker’s lid and place it on a nearby table.
- Coal Command: Position coals on one side, letting them burn until a thin layer of ash covers them. Never leave coals overnight to avoid excessive heat.
- Heat Headquarters: Set the smoker box atop the hot coals and wait for it to heat thoroughly.
- Grate Greatness: Insert the cooking grate, ensuring a snug fit without any gaps. Your canvas for culinary masterpieces is ready.
- Meat Masterpiece: Place your meat on the grate, adjusting for size if needed. Smoke to perfection with the right time and temperature settings.
- Temperature Triumph: Ensure your meat is cooked through by using a thermometer. Aim for a spot untouched by bone or fat, or rely on the fingertip test for doneness.
Temperature Tango: Mastering Heat Control
1. Air Flow Artistry
Adjust the dampers to control the airflow. Strike the right balance to achieve the desired temperature without overwhelming your food with too much smoke.
2. Smoke Symphony
Master the art of controlling smoke output. Prevent your food from drying out by regulating the amount of smoke that escapes. A water pan can be your ally in achieving the perfect balance.
DIY Adventure: Crafting Your Own Double Barrel Smoker at home
Tools of the Trade: Crafting Your Smoker
- Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG Welder: A heavy-duty welding machine for precision and reliability.
- Plasma Cutter: Versatile and efficient, perfect for cutting through metal.
- Band Saw: Ensures precise cuts for your smoker barrel.
- Angle Grinder: Essential for grinding steel straight and level.
- Circular Saw with Abrasive Blades: Ideal for cutting through wood and metal pipes.
- Level and Sharpie: Tools for marking, leveling, and ensuring precision.
- 6-Pack of Coors Light: An unconventional addition – these cans serve as a template for your smoker project.
Building Your Double Barrel Smoker
- Drums for Drama: Secure two drums – one for smoke, the other for your culinary creations.
- Grill Grates Galore: Double up on grill grates for ample cooking space.
- Burn Box Brilliance: Craft a dedicated box for charcoal or wood chips, ensuring controlled heat.
- Chimney Caps: Keep smoke out of the house and create a safe cooking environment.
- Ash Pile: Dispose of spent coals responsibly for a robust smoker foundation.
While double barrel smokers are readily available, there’s a certain joy in crafting your own. If time and equipment permit, embark on the DIY adventure. However, if you’re itching to start your smoking journey promptly, a pre-made smoker might be your ideal companion. Either way, get ready to unlock a world of culinary possibilities and elevate your grilling game.
Must read out more guides from the section to become the best in grilling!